Saratoga Board of Ed Meeting Notes
Jan 6, 2022
Notes by Patty Farrell
Addressing community members present. Committed to keeping our students in person learning and safe. Please be a role model for appropriate masking.
Public Comment: None
– DK- 12/20 meeting capital project meeting with sub contractors etc
– CW- gave update– could not hear over youtube
– TK- tax levy limit discussed, drafts of bus and facility propositions
– Education of board about legal matters, get to know you, Legal aspects of trustee
– Educational law
– Board members must follow chain of information as all parents when accessing information about students
– Individual members should request information on board related topics at the board meeting
– Boards role in curriculum– board trusts the expertise of teachers, buildings administrators, student council members
– Patton/ Cutting (no microphone) speak more to this but hard to hear over the Youtube Channel highlighting collaborative process, encourage questions from parents
Student representative presents
– Welcome back- new challenges, thanks to staff, parents etc. Talking about Legacy Project and the middle school team tour etc.
– Monitoring Covid situation with DOH and CDC, will continue to update families as soon as possible, recognize information that changes. Warning for health officials to expect an increase
– 113 positives / 156 additional cases ( reported to the nurse awaiting confirmation from county) (total population of 7000) ?? unknown number of current quarantines– very large
– Over 50% of families have requested tests, still have tests available, reach out to building administrators to request
– Continuing to implement Test to Stay— awaiting for additional guidance from CDC which was released 2 hrs before meeting. More information to follow.
– Continue to improve air circulation – frequent changing of air filters.
– Mask use ( thank you to students who have been doing a great job wearing masks), cleaning regularly
– Vaccines- clinic coming up on tuesday for 5-12
– Booster clinic for 12-17 details to follow
Board member asks a question: Is there a threshold for returning to virtual school?
– Response: Taking it on a case by case basis- ( some sports teams etc)not number that is the threshold
JB: thanks to the staff for all their work, very tough times ahead, acknowledging the frustration, thinking of the 4 B’s
– 3 teachers- will be retiring (1 Jan and 2 June)
– Elks Club has presented a Gratitude Award- presented to High School Counseling Department- will be presented at next board meeting
Pupil Services Presentation: Can not be heard over the YouTube Channel
Powerpoint presentation- I imagine it will be posted on the website at some point
– Special education, English as a New language, Health Services, Section 504 accommodations, Homeless students, speech therapist, occupational therapists, PT
– Added additional psychologist this year, nursing support and administrative support
– Use district pathways as guidelines, team approach- foster relationships and establish opportunity and growth for all students
– 2022- Extended school yr- additional 30 days over summer (100 students)
– Training for teachers
– Strategies programs- SEL needs, expended to 10th grade and 11th grade (22-23)
– Outcomes: students re- entering school building and BOCES
– Committee identifies needs and addresses the needs
Q: How to assist homeless students and those who will be affected by the eviction moratorium?
A: Seeing an increase in referrals to special education services- trying to do a lot of outreach and education to teachers and administrators to identify what is an educational disability
Public Comment: None
CW: comment: Thank you for keeping the school open